As you know, people are idiots. Really. I mean, the fact people use Internet Explorer proves it. The fact we still develop and cater for Internet Explorer makes us idiots too. In other words everyone is an idiot.
Rant aside, if you are a professional, no doubt you develop on a mac (not dissing PC owners, Ive used PCs for 22 years!). Of course, testing IE is a pain on both!
Actually, it’s worse on the pc, as MS wont allow several different IE’s running along side. Either platform, the answer is Virtual Box! http://virtualbox.org
Install it and then you can install official microsoft virtual machines! http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=11575
Better yet, (and below is blatantly copied and pasted from elsewhere) you can auto install all the vm’s from one comman by following this stuff! It also includes the windows 8 developer preview with IE10!
Run Internet Explorer 7, 8, and 9 in Mac OS X the Easy & Free Way
We’re going to walk you through how to install Internet Explorer 7, 8, or 9 in a virtual machine running Windows, directly in Mac OS X – for free. This is achieved by using the freely available VirtualBox software from Oracle, and combining that with free Internet Explorer testing virtual machines from Microsoft, the trick is converting these free IE vm’s so that they work flawlessly under OS X (or Linux, technically), and that is all handled automatically with this method.
Notes: the admin password for all of the IE VMs is “Password1″ without the quotes. This has been tested and confirmed to work with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
- Download & Install VirtualBox – Download Now (direct .dmg download link) – visit VirtualBox Downloads page
- Launch the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/)
- Decide which versions of Internet Explorer you want to download and install – each version of Internet Explorer is contained within a separate virtual machine that runs within VirtualBox. In other words, if you want to run Internet Explorer 7, 8, and 9, you will need to download three separate VM’s, which may take a while so keep that in mind. Select the text below and copy it:
Install ALL versions of Internet Explorer: IE7, IE 8, and IE 9
curl -s https://raw.github.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | bash
Install Internet Explorer 7 Only
curl -s https://raw.github.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | IEVMS_VERSIONS="7" bash
Install Internet Explorer 8 Only
curl -s https://raw.github.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | IEVMS_VERSIONS="8" bash
Install Internet Explorer 9 Only
curl -s https://raw.github.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | IEVMS_VERSIONS="9" bash
- Copy and paste the selected command from above into the Terminal and hit return, this will start the download and conversion process. How long this takes depends on your internetconnection and how many versions of Internet Explorer you chose to install
- Launch VirtualBox and boot Windows & Internet Explorer – select the virtual machine corresponding to the version of Internet Explorer you intend to use: IE7, IE8, IE9, then click on the “Start” button to boot that Windows machine with that version of Internet Explorer.
Remember that the default Windows admin password is “Password1″, it’s also the password hint within the VM should you forget it.